indica News Bureau-
A film version of “Draupadi Unleashed,” based on the novel by Nisha Sabharwal, who also co-director, debuts in eight US cities later this month, according to a news release by Jingo Media.
The period-piece romance set in 1930s British India, written and co-directed by Tony Stopperan, is the story of a 16-year-old girl, Indira, who must choose between her duty to follow through on an arranged marriage and her true love.
“In a story that mixes magical realism and gorgeous surroundings with the harsh realities of a patriarchal society, this beautifully-told tale of a young woman at a crossroads in her life offers a rare look at aristocratic Indian society in the early part of the 20th Century – one that will resonate with audiences today,” according to the film’s promotional materials.
The cast includes Salena Qureshi, Dominic Rains, Cas Anvar, Anna George, Azita Ghanizada, Melanie Chandra, Paras Patel, Pooja Batra, Taaha Shah Badusha, and Abi Bais.
March 20 release
- Chicago — AMC River East 21
- Dallas-Ft. Worth — AMC Stonebriar Mall 24
- Hartford & New Haven — AMC Plainville 20
- Houston — AMC First Colony 24
- Orange County — AMC Orange 30
- Los Angeles — Laemmle Town Center
- Philadelphia — AMC Hamilton 24
- New York City — AMC Empire 25
March 27 release
- Larkspur, CA (Marin County) — Lark Theater
- Hartford, CT — Real Art Ways
The film is distributed by Passion River Films.