iNDICA NEWS BUREAU
India’s external affairs minister S. Jaishankar Wednesday told Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi that the Chinese “pre-meditated and planned action” was “directly responsible” for the casualties in the clash between the two countries’ troops at Galwan Valley in Ladakh.
Jaishankar “conveyed the protest of the government of India in the strongest terms on the violent face-off in Galwan Valley on 15 June 2020,” the Indian external affairs ministry statement on the phone conversation said.
“He recalled that at the meeting of senior Military Commanders held on 6th June, an agreement was reached on de-escalation and disengagement along the Line of Actual Control (LAC),” the statement continued.
“Ground commanders were meeting regularly to implement this consensus throughout the last week. While there was some progress, the Chinese side sought to erect a structure in Galwan valley on our [India’s] side of the LAC. While this became a source of dispute, the Chinese side took pre-meditated and planned action that was directly responsible for the resulting violence and casualties. It reflected an intent to change the facts on ground in violation of all our agreements to not change the status quo.”
Jaishankar, the statement said, “underlined that this unprecedented development will have a serious impact on the bilateral relationship. The need of the hour was for the Chinese side to reassess its actions and take corrective steps. The two sides should scrupulously and sincerely implement the understanding that was reached by the Senior Commanders on 6th June. Troops of both sides should also abide by the bilateral agreements and protocols. They should strictly respect and observe the Line of Actual Control and should not take any unilateral action to alter it.”
Wang Yi, according to the Indian statement, “conveyed the Chinese position on recent developments”.
The statement added: “At the conclusion of the discussion, it was agreed that the overall situation would be handled in a responsible manner, and both sides would implement the disengagement understanding of 6 June sincerely. Neither side would take any action to escalate matters and instead, ensure peace and tranquillity as per bilateral agreements and protocols.”