IIM failure leads IIT engineer to plan suicide


If you want to see your son alive, arrange Rs 500,000 by tomorrow. That was the terse message the father of Amit Gupta (name changed on request) received on his cellphone around 8pm Sunday in Budh Vihar, Rohini, Delhi.

Amit, 24, is an IIT Delhi passout.

His father told police that Amit, his younger son, had gone to the Canara Bank ATM around 6pm and had not returned. His mobile phone was also not reachable.

At 8pm, Amit’s father received the message from his son’s mobile.

The complaint led the Delhi police to form a team and start searching for the kidnapped man.

The CCTV camera footage of the area was checked, starting from the house of the victim to the ATM of Canara Bank. Amit was seen going out from his house and was seen up to half of the route to the ATM. He turned to the other side of the main road and didn’t visit the ATM.

Cops tracked his mobile phone and found it had another number, which was not known to the family members. The location of this number was obtained and it was last found active at 8.47pm at Sarai Rohilla railway station.

The police team went to the Sarai Rohilla Railway Station and questioned the station master about the details of the trains which had recently left from there, scrutinized the reservation charts of the trains, checked the CCTV cameras at the entry and exit of the railway station and tried to identify the victim with the help of his family members.

Amit was seen entering the railway station on a CCTV camera at the entry gate but could not be traced at the station.

Later, he was seen in one of the cameras, boarding the unreserved bogey of the Sampark Kranti Rajdhani Express, which had left for Jodhpur in Rajasthan. The footage and Amit’s photographs were shared with the Government Railway Police in Jaipur who checked the train.

He was identified and taken to Delhi.

Amit had done his BTech in mechanical engineering from IIT Delhi. He completed his degree in 2017 and joined a private company at Gurugram in Haryana. He later switched to another private company in Noida, Uttar Pradesh. Lately, he was working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

He wanted to join IIM Ahmedabad for an MBA. He tried twice but could not succeed.

“He was under acute depression and wanted to commit suicide,” said deputy commissioner of police Pramod Kumar Mishra. “He planned the same and left his home. He himself sent the ransom message from his phone to misguide his parents so that he got sufficient time to commit suicide. It was only due to the prompt action of the police that a precious life was saved. He has been counseled and has been handed over to his parents.”

Related posts