Massive outrage after tortured Indian-origin New York woman dies by suicide


The ordeal of a 30-year-old Indian-origin woman Mandeep Kaur, who went to New York after her wedding in search of a better life but was tortured by her husband allegedly for not bearing a son till she ended her life has left millions in India and abroad shocked.

According to New York police, Kaur ended her life by hanging after releasing a heart-rending video narrating details of the torture she faced at the hands of husband Ranjotveer Singh Sandhu.

The Indian consulate in New York on Saturday expressed grief over Kaur’s death in Queens and said it was in touch with the US authorities at all levels and will render all kinds of assistance required.

In a tweet, the consulate wrote, “We are deeply saddened by the death of Mandeep Kaur in Queens, New York under most tragic circumstances. We are in touch with the US authorities at Federal and local level as well as the community. We stand ready to render all assistance.”

In India, the Uttar Pradesh police in the city of Bijnor registered a case of abetment to suicide and domestic violence against her husband and in-laws. American authorities have also begun their own probe.

Mandeep’s sister Kuldeep Kaur said, “My sister was married in February 2015. Soon, they went to New York and he started torturing her. He wanted a son and wanted ₹5 million (approximately $62,800) in dowry.”

The Bijnor case was registered under sections 306 (Abetment of suicide), 498-A (Domestic violence), 323 (Punishment for voluntarily causing hurt), 342 (Punishment for wrongful confinement) and Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961, of the Indian Penal Code a police official said.

The case was filed by Jaspal Singh, father of Mandeep Kaur, wherein he accused Mukhtar Singh, father of Ranjotveer Singh Sandhu, Kuldeep Raj Kaur, mother of Ranjotveer Singh Sandhu and Jasveer Singh, brother of Ranjotveer Singh Sandhu for the suicide.

According to Mandeep’s video, she was abused by her husband for close to eight years. Another video, allegedly of Mandeep being beaten up, also went viral on the internet. indica could not independently verify the authenticity of the video.

Mandeep is survived by her two daughters, aged four and six, whose custody currently is with Sandhu.

Social media users questioned why the two daughters are still with Sandhu. Why is he currently allowed to plan Mandeep’s funeral, others questioned.

While the deceased’s husband and daughters are currently in Richmond Hill, New York, his family is reportedly from Uttar Pradesh’s Bijnor.

According to some social media users from New York, the New York Police Department is investigating the case as a homicide rather than suicide.