iNDICA NEWS BUREAU
The Indian government Wednesday formally notified a CBI probe — federal investigation — into the death, apparently by suicide, of Bollywood hero Sushant Siingh Rajput.
The Department of Personnel and Training, which reports to the Prime Minister’s Office, issued a notification of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe, a government source told indica News.
Sushant Singh’s death has sparked a furious debate in India, primarily led by shrill TV news channels, about nepotism and more evil practices in Bollywood. Others have seen in the carpet-bombing coverage a run-up to the state elections in Bihar, Sushant’s home state.
India’s solicitor general Tushar Mehta told the country’s Supreme Court Wednesday that the federal government had in principle accepted the recommendation by the Bihar government to order a CBI inquiry into the case.
The top court, in its order, gave three days to all parties to put on record their respective stands. It also noted that the Mumbai police must submit their records of investigations so far.
Hearing on the matter is scheduled for next week.
“We want to know what Mumbai police have done so far,” said Justice Roy.
The counsel for the Maharashtra government opposed the CBI probe and argued that it was the Mumbai police that was authorized to investigate under the Criminal Procedure Code.